2.17.2014

Secret Recipe Club: Frosted Sugar Cookies

.  It's been months since I last participated in SRC.  Must I mention that it's only because my forgetful self forgot to fill out the participation form?  Oops...

But we're back at for February, my very first SRC of 2014.  And what better way to start off a brand new year than with a holiday celebration?  And the most lovey-dovey, gooshy-wooshy holiday, to boot!

Valentine's Day.


I love it.

This month's SRC assignment was the Authentic Suburban Gourmet, which I must start out by saying that Lisa [the blogger] is on another level.  Like, she ain't joking about the 'gourmet' piece in her blog name.  She is quite legit.

From appetizers [like Wild Mushroom Crostinis, Chutney and Cheese Stuffed Dates, or Double Pesto Grilled Cheese Bites],  to entrees [think Coconut Crusted Tilapia, Beef Wellington, or the Mezzetta Italian-etta Sandwich], and even desserts [such as Chocolate Buttermilk Donuts with Salted Caramel Sauce or Sticky Toffee Pudding], Lisa brings her A-game.  Each and every time.


However, fortunate for me, I went into this assignment with clear direction.  And all I was seeing were hearts.

Valentine's hearts, that is.  Because even though our SRC reveal day is occurring post Valentine's Day, it didn't mean I wouldn't be bringing in treats for my co-workers on this red and pink strewn holiday.  So I was immediately on the hunt for something Valentines-ey.

And I found it immediately.

A tender, buttery, subtly sweet sugar cookie topped with a lathering of ultra sweet frosting?  Yes, please.  And my co-workers were all about it, too.  Hence, I came home with a crumb-free plate.  A.k.a. no cookies for me...


Lisa's Conversation Heart Cookies were exactly what I needed to celebrate Valentine's Day the right way.  The cookies themselves were a piece of cake [not literally] to make and the one-bowl frosting was almost just as quick to whip together.  So needless to say, the pairing of this almost shortbread flavor-like cookie with a creamy, classic, sugary-sweet frosting was quite divine.

But although I did my best to brighten my co-workers Valentine's Day, a very special someone also did his part to make my day very memorable.

I think I mentioned that Robbie is in Omaha all of February for work.  Therefore, he was no where to be found on Valentine's Day.  And because of that, I got this at work....


Yes.  Three dozen roses.  And about 20 minutes later, a 3-foot Vermont Teddy Bear arrived at my desk.

You can bet my face was a complete cherry at the arrival of all of these gifts and co-workers ooh-ed and aww-ed the entire rest of the day, it was most definitely a holiday I'll never forget.  Not to mention that the bear I got is now my new favorite cuddle buddy.

So even though the holiday of love has passed, I hope everyone had the chance to spend it with their loved ones.  Or at least send them a text, note, or even a teddy bear, to let them know you're thinking about them.

Love you all!  .


My Notes:
  • I didn't have any meringue powder on hand, so I opted to use a frosting recipe I've used before.  It's very sweet and tops these subtly favored cookies perfectly!



Adapted from Authentic Suburban Gourmet and Taste of Home

Ingredients:
Sugar Cookies:
1 c. butter, at room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
1 large egg
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. almond extract

Frosting:
6 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 to 4 tbsp. milk
Food coloring, sprinkles, etc. [for decorating]

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy [about 3 minutes].  Add egg and salt and mix together until incorporated.  Add vanilla and almond extract and combine.  Slowly add flour, one cup at a time, until incorporated.  
  2. Take dough out of the bowl and onto a cutting board.  Knead together any extra bits.  Divide dough into two balls and flatten into a 1-inch disk.  Wrap individually and chill for 30 minutes.  
  3. Heat oven to 375ºF.  Sprinkle clean work surface with flour.  Unwrap one of the discs and use a rolling pin to roll out until ¼-inch thick.  Use a 2-inch heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out cookies and place on a greased baking sheet.  Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until bottom edges are slightly golden brown.  Remove to cool onto a wire rack.  Repeat with scraps and remaining dough disc.
  4. For frosting, combine butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk, in a medium bowl and beat until smooth.  Add food coloring [if using] to desired shade.  Frost and decorate cookies as desired.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies


post signature

8 comments:

  1. So adorable! These turned out great! I can never seem to make cookies this pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look delicious. Perfect for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous (and all the recipes you mentioned sound divine too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely V-day treat! Beautiful choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these cookies! They look perfectly cute, and tasty to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute and delicious! Must try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heart cookies are always fun to make. Cute bear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it- your cookies look great! And I particularly love any cookie that incorporates frosting

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: