8.17.2012

Cherry Hand Pies

.  As you may have read, Robbie and I just got back from an exciting [and exhausting] weekend with my relatives.  I really can't explain the feeling I have when I'm around them, except for the fact that I don't think I could love any others more than I do those people.  Regardless that I live halfway across the country from many of them, they are truly the most accepting and genuine people I have had the pleasure to meet.  And I'm lucky enough to call them my family.

But all good things must come to an end and unfortunately I had to come back to the 'real world.'  But I was anticipating this return a little more than most because...

I'm starting a new job!

Don't freak.  Same company, and even though I had a wonderful time in my previous position, I'm overly eager to begin this new one.   I think the idea of starting something new and getting to learn a whole lot is [nerdily] exciting to me.  Don't get me wrong, I had a unique experience in my very first job, learned oh-so-much, and met some amazing people [most of which I will keep in touch with for the rest of the my life] but new is always intriguing.  Right?!  Right.


So needless to say, this week has been nuts-o.  And to boot, there's some important birthdays and multiple wedding events coming up this weekend.  It never seems to stop.  But I can't and won't complain.  Busy is good ☺

So to lead you into the weekend [this will be my last post for the week], I thought this would be a perfect time to share a nostalgic treat [well, at least for me].  Something that reminds of my childhood growing up in Washington State and the wonderful memories I have with my relatives.


Cherry Hand Pies.

Not gonna lie, I didn't eat much Cherry Pie growing up [even though it's my favorite!] but you can bet I ate my fair share of cherries!  I mean c'mon, cherry trees are everywhere in the good ol' state of Washington.  If I do remember right, my grandparents even had a cherry tree in their yard...

Anywho, these Cherry Hand Pies are a wonderful breakfast goodie.  I know it's wierd to hear [or read] that but surprisingly these little pockets of fruity yummyness are not overly sweet.  In fact, the pastry itself really lends itself to the wonderful sweetness of the cherries [so make sure you get good ones] and so much so, that I decided to make a simple icing to drizzle over the hand pies.  Perfect touch, too, if I do say so ☺


Well I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, Robbie and I will be on the go basically the entire time.  So see you next week!  .

My Notes:
  • The original recipe called for strawberries, so feel free to switch out the fruit in the filling for whatever your hear desires.  I'm itching to try some blueberries...
  • Next time around I may try the pie crust from my Bumbleberry Pie.  That was one dang good pie crust and I can imagine the buttery, flakey crust would be perfect with this recipe!

Adapted from Barbara Bakes

Ingredients:
Cherry Filling:
2 lbs. (4 c.) cherries, pitted and chopped
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
Pinch of salt

Pastry Dough:
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. milk
1 egg
1 to 2 tsp. water

Simple Icing:
1/4 c. powdered Sugar
2 tbsp. water

Directions:
  1. For filling, in a small bowl, mix cherries with flour, sugar and salt (increase the sugar depending on how sweet the cherries are).  Set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350º.  For pastry dough, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add shortening and cut into flour mixture with pastry blender or mix with hands until crumbly.
  3. Add milk and mix with spatula until  pastry begins to come together.
  4. Lightly flour your hands and countertop and turn the dough out onto the countertop. Knead the dough, folding over 10 to 20 times.  Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/3 to 1/2-inch thickness.  Cut into rounds using a 2 1/4-inch ring.  Roll each round as thinly as possible (about 5 to 6 inches in diameter).
  5. Combine the egg and water to make an egg wash; set aside until ready to use.
  6. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling onto the dough. Brush the edges of half of the dough lightly with egg wash, fold over, and seal edges together with tines of a fork. Gently press down to flatten and evenly distribute the filling and cut 3 slits in the top of the pie.  Place pie onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining rounds.
  7. Brush tops of pies with egg wash and sprinkle with decorating sugar.
  8. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.
  9. For icing, mix powdered sugar and water until smooth (add additional water by teaspoonfuls until desired consistency).  Drizzle icing over pies.
Yield: 2 dozen hand pies


post signature

14 comments:

  1. your pies are gorgeous and congrats on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! If you don't mind I'm going to pin this so I can come right back to it later! Congrats on the new position, it's always fun to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful little pie! I prefer cherry pies over all others-so this really got my attention! I love how these turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good as always. Congrats on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are mouth-watering pies!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pies look delish. Good luck on your new job. Sometimes a new job is just the adventure one needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your delicious pie recipe has been chosen to be on Today's Feature Post from Cast Party Wednesday! Thank You for sharing your recipe with us! Have a GREAT week! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=33741

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking this morning about making fruit hand pies, and here's the perfect post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEED TO MAKE THESE!! They look amazing!!!!! Blueberries would be so yumy, too! Good luck on your new job!!

    ~Jen @ YummyHealthyEasy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess,
    These look and sounds super delish! I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday each week to share your wonderful posts. Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherry season is over for me now. I am saving this for next season, YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! You could also try this with other fruits or maybe even chocolate/nuts/marshmallows, etc. The filing possibilities are endless!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: