7.10.2011

Sunday Special: Ham 'N' Veggie Pizza


. I think we got it.  Well, almost.

But first, do you even remember Sunday Specials?  Geesh, they've definitely been put on the back burner for quite some time now.  But you know me, I get the 'bug' for certain things and then it flies away for a while.  I think it's back though.  And I'm hoping he [as in the 'cooking bug'] stays around.


So anyway, the 'cooking bug' landed on my shoulder last Monday after the boyfriend and I got to the house from our nine hour car ride back from Silverthorne, CO.  Odd time, I realize, but it is what it is!  Anyway, due to our never-ending love for pizza, I decided to whip up one using The Food Network crust from the Margherita Pizza and then combining some topping techniques from A Passion for Baking.

End result?  Best pizza we've made to date.  Bar none.  No questions asked.  SO good that I've had the pizza-making itch [an itch, not a bug] ever since last Monday.  I'm even debating making a pizza for tonight's dinner even though we had pizza last night (not homemade, sorry) and I know the boyfriend will be eating the leftovers for lunch today.  Oh well, he might have to grin and bear it.  I do think we need to test out a few more crust recipes, but this one is still great.  There's just a thing or two I am still searching for.  Any crust recipes out there you wouldn't mind sharing?! .

Ham 'N' Veggie Pizza
Adapted from The Food Network and A Passion for Baking


Ingredients:
Crust:
3-3/4 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. salt 
1-1/3 c. warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1 package yeast
3 tbsp. olive oil

Toppings:
12 oz. pizza sauce
8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
2-1/2 oz. baby spinach
8 oz. Canadian Bacon, sliced into fourths
1/2 of one red onion
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. minced garlic
12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1.  Whisk flour and salt together.  Make a well and add warm water, sugar and yeast.  When yeast is foamy, mix in olive oil; knead dough until smooth (about 5 minutes).  Brush dough with olive oil, cover in a bowl and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour 30 minutes).

2.  Heat oven to 500°F.  Pat dough into shape of desired pan lightly greased.  Spread pizza sauce evenly over dough.  Bake 15 minutes or until golden.


3.  Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine mushrooms, baby spinach, Canadian bacon, and red onion.  Add in olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and garlic and toss to evenly coat.


4.  Remove pizza from oven.  Evenly spread toppings mixture over crust.  Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.  Bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.


Yield: 12 servings


*My Notes:
  • We used a combination of some of our favorite toppings, but I see no reason why you can't switch in your own.  If you choose to use ground beef or turkey (or any other uncooked meat), make sure to cook the meat before adding to the pizza.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the boyfriends sister would like this pizza?! Looks really good! BFM

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous Haha I'm thinking she may and possibly even the hubby?! She gave me a recipe to try out, too, so that's next on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: