4.26.2011

Tried & True Tuesday: Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

. How was everyone's Easter weekend?!  Hopefully relaxing and filled with family and friends!  Even though I would argue that relaxing, holidays and family don't really go together.  But maybe that's just my family...?  Joking, Dad ☺

My boyfriend and I actually had a very laid back weekend, spent studying for the CPA (boo), cleaning, running around after Leo, and partaking in my most recent home project: painting the kitchen bathroom.  Whew, that's been a project on the back burner.  I decided I had dragged my feet long enough though, so I finally grabbed some paint from Home Depot and got to work.  I've been dead set on painting the bathroom a darker shade of yellow, to go with the antique-y feeling I'm going for throughout our house.  Well...it didn't really turn out like I had hoped.  I'm trying to let it grow on me though.  My assumption is that the change from the original dark red color to yellow was so dramatic (and I felt like I was in McDonald's PlayHouse the entire time), that it's taking me a bit to adjust.  Fortunately the color darkened a little after drying, so I think I'm right on track.


Thoughts?  Opinions?  Good or bad, I'd love to hear it.  I need to get some decorating advice...

Go Packers?

See my dilemma?  Help me out here!

But while you're thinking about the decorating advice you'd like to give, let's get to this recipe.  So we all know it's strawberry season and maybe it's just me, but it appears that the strawberries have been taking steroids.  I made a strawberry dessert this last weekend (not the one I'm posting, but it will definitely be up soon!) and I couldn't believe how HUGE the strawberries are!  You buy a carton and you only get 8 to 10 pieces...rip off?  Well, that could go either way and I can't really complain about monstrous strawberries.  But I will say I enjoy seeing some fresh, ripe produce around here.  It's been way too long.

So for today, I'm posting a recipe that utilizes this seasonal fruit, with simple ingredients that hand over the spotlight to the strawberries.  The Strawberry Shortcake Cookies come, again, from Ms. Martha Stewart.  I wouldn't exactly call these 'cookies', but actually more emphasis on the 'shortcake.'  I would say they're more of the consistency of a soft scone, studded with fresh bits of strawberries and sprinkled with a bit of sugar to lend a slight sweetness [and make them look extra pretty].  The cake [cookie/scone, whatever you want to call it] is very light in flavor so these are, of course, perfect for a mid-morning snack or a spring time dessert.

And don't forget that decorating advice I asked for, I really could use some ☺ .

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
from Martha Stewart

Such a terrible picture, sorry.  This was taken long before I ever had a blog!

Ingredients:
12 oz. strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 c. heavy cream
Sanding sugar (for sprinkling)

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375°F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Combine strawberries, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl.  
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar in large bowl.  Cut in butter with pastry blender or rub with fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  
  3. Stir in heavy cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
  4. Using 1-1/2-inch ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets, spacing evenly apart.  Sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Bake 24 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Transfer to wire rack to let cool.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies

*My Notes:
  • These cookies are best served the day they are made.  And unfortunately, they only keep for about a day.  A little give and take when you're baking with fruits...
  • If you can, try to avoid having the strawberries at the bottom of the dough ball.  When I made these, the strawberries on the bottom charred a bit and that just isn't very appealing.

1 comment:

  1. Jess, I like the color! Give is a week or so and see what you think...decorate it a little and maybe it will be just what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: